Who is?

Hi. I am a shipping company director, transport academic, author, family man and all round nice guy. I have worked as shipbroker, shipowner, freight trader and bulk charterer, in senior positions, with some of the largest and most disrespected (joke) companies in the world. Ask my advice on all things shipping and you will receive my blunt and always honest answer. Hang around to learn more about chartering and ship broker salaries, chartering and ship broker jobs, chartering and shipbroker recruitment agencies, cheap freight, maritime education, chartering and ship broker qualifications, become a ship broker, tips on how to be a successful bulk shipping executive, philosophy, Zen and the art of shipbroking, and much more. Yours The Virtual Shipbroker Andy Jamison is the alter ego (pen name) of ex shipping guy and blog creator Nick van der Hoeven Copyright © 2020 by Virtualshipbroker Contact virtualshipbroker@yahoo.com

Monday, September 27, 2010

Had to Laugh

Qte

Mr. Agent has left a new comment on your post "Strange but True":


Hey VS,

Thanks for your blog - its like crack for me...i can't wait for my daily fix.

I'm a shipping agent on the USWC. Part of my job is providing port costs to our principals. These requests come in waves - One week everyone and their mom will be asking about costs/restrictions for logs ex Kodiak, whereas the next week it will be grain ex Grays Harbour, and then wood chips ex tacoma....etc..etc..etc.

As an agent, communication is the name of the game. If I could get a heads up on what cargoes are hitting the market, it would help me better prep information for our principals. When these cargos become available what venue are they being broadcast/advertised?

Cheers and let me know if you ever find yourself in Seattle.

Mr Agent

Unqte

Hello Mr Agent - Appreciate the sentiment (I think) although this blog or its author does not condone the use of Ilicit substances for recreational purposes (Unlike the wolf of Wall St lol).

Your question is an excellent one. I have been one of those pesky shipowners pushing you for info.

The answer is not one that will make your life any easier. There is nowhere you get to see these cargoes before they hit the market - if there was then the shipowners and brokers would know about it too. You will always be second unfortunately.

What happens is this - a charterer will come out with a new market cargo - within minutes the shipowners will then be trying to run voyage estimations.  key component of voyage estimation are the port costs (and restrictions if any). So that is why you get email requests at the same time. Each shipowner is trying to beat the other in terms of cost and speed of reply. As a shipowner I always liked being first to offer - usually within a few hours of a cargo hitting the market.

Anyway - sorry couldnt help much and yes if I ever make to Seattle I will look you up. I am a grunge generation (only JUST) dude and always loved the Seattle Sound.

Keep rockin, stay off the crack and keep in touch..

A sober (Beer and Sav Blanc excl)
VS

No comments:

Post a Comment