Who is?

Hi. I am a shipping company director, transport academic, author, family man and all round nice guy. I have worked as shipbroker, shipowner, freight trader and bulk charterer, in senior positions, with some of the largest and most disrespected (joke) companies in the world. Ask my advice on all things shipping and you will receive my blunt and always honest answer. Hang around to learn more about chartering and ship broker salaries, chartering and ship broker jobs, chartering and shipbroker recruitment agencies, cheap freight, maritime education, chartering and ship broker qualifications, become a ship broker, tips on how to be a successful bulk shipping executive, philosophy, Zen and the art of shipbroking, and much more. Yours The Virtual Shipbroker Andy Jamison is the alter ego (pen name) of ex shipping guy and blog creator Nick van der Hoeven Copyright © 2020 by Virtualshipbroker Contact virtualshipbroker@yahoo.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Interesting dialogue from another thread

This reader has hit a minor jackpot. Only confirms to me that there is lots of scope for people to start shipbroking business's. But one needs to do it properly. Not only does a shipbroker need to be professional and uphold industry standards, a new shipbroker needs to know how to survive and prosper. One or two bad mistakes and you will end up back on a ship (at a bank, at McDonalds or wherever you worked pre shipbroker)


AnonymousFeb 20, 2012 12:33 PM



Hi VS... excellent blog


I want to confirm whether the ship broker should gets his commission only from the ship owners or from cargo owners as well.. pls clarify



ReplyDelete


 The Virtual ShipbrokerFeb 20, 2012 01:04 PM


Hi


Shipowners pay commission. It is the shipowners cost..

BUT you can ask charterers to deduct the commission from hire payment (payment they make to shipowners) and the chargterers remit the funds to the broker instead...

 
does this make sense?


ReplyDelete


 AnonymousFeb 20, 2012 11:08 PM


Hi VS... thank you so much for your reply. I'm a master mariner,and i have my relative working for a cargo owner. They wanted to hire a ship for their goods and I helped them to find a ship owner. The ship owner promised me a 1.25% commission because I'm the middle man. Do I call myself as a ship broker??? Should i open a new company????? What are the risks involved as a ship broker. I'm doing this to this help my relative and I don't want to get into trouble.

 
ReplyDelete


 The Virtual ShipbrokerFeb 21, 2012 12:26 AM


Congratulations on finding yourself in the middle of a lucrative deal. And yes you got it....you are now a shipbroker!


First point of call. Buy my books...all 3 - im not kidding. And then once you have read them then we can talk. Shipbroking is lucrative but risky especially if you dont understand what you are doing. I consult many companies exactly like what you may be able to start now, and help them (at very little cost) create amazing business's. Well done, good luck and keep in touch!


VS


End story

1 comment:

  1. hi VS,

    in your book you've mentioned the tips to be a good shipbroker, but can you give some examples of major mistakes that a shipbroker should NOT do?

    thank you so much dude.

    ReplyDelete